Tantalum capacitor, full name is tantalum electrolytic capacitor .It is a kind of electrolytic capacitor. It uses metal tantalum as a medium. Unlike ordinary electrolytic capacitors, it uses electrolyte. Therefore, it is suitable for working at high temperatures. It is a small-capacity product in a capacitor that can achieve a large capacitance.The following describes the advantages,disadvantages and characteristics of tantalum capacitor.
- The tantalum capacitor itself has almost no inductance, but this also limits its capacity. In addition, since there is no electrolyte inside the tantalum capacitor, it is suitable for working at high temperature.
- Tantalum capacitor is characterized by long life, high temperature resistance, high accuracy, and excellent high-frequency harmonic filtering performance. In the working process of tantalum electrolytic capacitors, it has the performance of automatically repairing or isolating the defects in the oxide film, so that the oxide film medium can be strengthened at any time and its proper insulation capacity is restored, without being subject to continuous cumulative damage. This unique self-healing performance guarantees its advantages of long life and reliability.
- Tantalum electrolytic capacitors have a very high operating electric field strength and are larger than capacitors of the same type, so as to ensure its miniaturization.
- The capacity is smaller, the price is more expensive than the aluminum capacitor, and the voltage resistance and current capability are weak. It is used in the place of large-capacity filtering. For example, the tantalum capacitor is seen near the CPU socket. It is mostly used with ceramic capacitors and electrolytic capacitors or used in places where the voltage and current are not large.
- Tantalum capacitors have a very high operating electric field strength and are larger than any type of capacitor, so as to ensure its miniaturization.
Tantalum capacitors can easily obtain large capacitance, and have few competitors in power filter, AC bypass and other uses.
- Tantalum capacitors have unidirectional conductivity, so-called “polarity”. When applying, current should be connected in the positive and negative directions of the power supply. The anode (positive) of the capacitor is connected to the power supply “+” pole and the cathode ( Negative pole) If the “-” pole of the power supply is connected incorrectly, not only the capacitor does not work, but also the leakage current is very large, the core will heat up in a short time, and the oxide film will be destroyed immediately and will fail.
- The operating voltage of tantalum capacitors has a certain upper limit, but the shortcomings in this respect are not important for the matching of transistor or integrated circuit power supplies.
- Tantalum capacitors have the properties of storing electricity, charging and discharging.